Breaking: Saudi declares Hajj 2020 open, limits pilgrims
Authorities in Saudi Arabia have announced that this year’s Hajj will go ahead next month but with a “very limited” number of pilgrims.
While disclosing this in a statement on Monday June 22, 2020, the Saudi Ministry of Hajj and Umrah stated that a very limited number of pilgrims will be allowed to take part.
“The decision was taken due to the ongoing threat from the coronavirus pandemic and to preserve “global public health,” the Ministry said.
The ministry said the decision had been made “in light of continuation of the pandemic and the risks of Coronavirus spreading in crowded spaces and large gatherings.”
“A very limited number of pilgrims from various nationalities who already reside in Saudi Arabia, would be able to perform it,” the statement reads.
“This decision is taken to ensure Hajj is performed in a safe manner from a public health perspective while observing all preventative measures and the necessary social distancing protocols,” the statement adds.
About 2.5 million pilgrims performed Hajj last year, but the ongoing scale and spread of Covid-19 worldwide means people will not be able to travel to the Kingdom to take part.
Decision taken due to the ongoing threat from the coronavirus pandemic
Last year, more than 1.8 million pilgrims traveled to Saudi Arabia from abroad to take part.
The Hajj ministry said this year, the risk of transmitting the disease between countries and the increase in infections globally meant the risk was too high.
The ministry said Saudi Arabia’s top priority is to always enable Muslim pilgrims perform Hajj and Umrah safely and securely.