Trump loses litigation against Biden as law firm withdraws
Porter Wright Morris & Arthur, the law firm, which leads President Donald Trump’s challenge against the United States presidential election results in Pennsylvania, has announced its withdrawal from the case.
The law firm made the announcement on Friday November 13, 2020.
It abruptly withdrew from Trump’s effort to challenge votes from Philadelphia and other Democratic-leaning counties where Democrat Joe Biden has been declared the winner.
The move reflects the difficulty facing Trump as he tries through litigation to reverse his defeat in the US presidential election.
“In all of these cases, the law firms are faced with an ethical dilemma,” said John Hardin Young, an election lawyer in Washington, DC and former counsel to the Democratic Party.
“They run up against” federal rules of procedure that require a complaint be based in law and fact,” Young added.
“All of these complaints are looking for facts which is the exact opposite of the ethical obligations. These lawsuits are political statements that have nothing to do with the technicalities of law and fact,” Young said.
Earlier this week, in Arizona, the firm of Snell & Wilmer withdrew from representing Republicans in the so-called “Sharpie-gate” case, alleging a conspiracy by poll workers to give Republican voters permanent-ink markers that would spoil their ballots.
A report had revealed internal tensions at the firm about its work for Trump in Pennsylvania.
The Democratic National Committee has moved to dismiss Trump’s case in the US District Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania.
“Plaintiffs and Porter Wright have reached a mutual agreement that the plaintiffs will be best served if Porter Wright withdraws,” the firm said in a federal court.
“Cancel culture has finally reached the courtroom,” Trump campaign spokesman Tim Murtaugh said in a statement.